Feb.19, 2021 –
BY MATT EDGAR
680 THE FAN, ATLANTA – Notes From The Corner Office / Sports Media Watchdog
• Tim Tebow is retiring from baseball. There’s been enough shots taken at him with that news, and I certainly understand why, but separate of his failed baseball career, is it just me that finds him average to below average on TV as well? Whether it’s his weekly appearances on ESPN’s First Take or his role on SEC Network’s SEC Nation, he doesn’t do much for me at all. I guess his name is enough? He has quite the brand, I’ll give him that, but I don’t see the talent on camera.
• Though I’m not a gear head, I’m actually excited for my NASCAR friends because I like what they are doing with this year’s schedule. They have several new road courses in play and are actually doing a dirt track race at Bristol. Unfortunately, it was an awful start to NASCAR on Sunday as the Daytona 500 got lapped by Mother Nature and in the process produced the worst ratings ever! Is this a sign of things to come for the upcoming season and just another example of post COVID television ratings or did a rainy Sunday in Florida simply cause too many obstacles for viewers? We’ll stay tuned this season to find out.
• Joe Buck recently admitted to the fact that he & Troy Aikman partake in cocktails from time to time over the years. I love that idea….relax, have fun & don’t be so serious! However, I’m still not a Joe Buck fan. He’s not awful but he’s not overly likeable and I’m not sure NFL or MLB fans would miss him much if he went away.
• ESPN has signed Ryan Clark to a contract extension. Good move! Clark has been a great find by the four-letter network.
• Did you hear the Janet verse Michael Jackson discussion on the station on Monday? Leave it to Dimino to get the pot stirred, saying a lot of Michael Jackson’s stuff is silly and that Janet’s album “Rhythm Nation” is better than both “Off The Wall” and “Thriller” by Michael. Hometeam was beside himself with that statement and made for a fun discussion! You knew know what my guys will stumble into out of nowhere. And speaking of Chrissie D, did you see him on MLB Network’s Hot Stove on Thursday? He was outstanding!
• I enjoy seeing the Australian Open on our TV monitors around the station. John McEnroe is as good a sports analyst as there is in any sport! Four times a year I get to relish in his phenomenal commentary.
• Though I’m an Atlanta sports fan through and through I have no interest in the NBA All Star Game being here in March. I don’t often agree with LeBron but he and others are right, there is no need for an ASG in 2021.